Old December 22nd 03, 07:44 PM
laxer

Default what I got from the New Skate

(C) Quiet Upper Body
I became a big convert to this concept -- preached it on this

newsgroup --
argued against anybody who tried to distract us from directing all

movements
into _forward_ motion. Practiced it for hours, felt how cool it was

to be
so strong and dynamic with my legs and so quiet and stable above, at

the
same time. And I still think those quiet upper body hours were an

excellent
training and learning phase for me.

How is having an active upper body not forward motion? you say it is
really good to be strong and dynamic with legs and quiet in the upper
body. imagine how much faster you could go if you used your upperbody
effectively, utilizing your abs, and not just your
triceps/arm/shoulder muscles.

(E) the Old skate -- what was wrong
I had lots of doubts about things in the old dryland training video, so when
I read Vordenberg's criticisms, by immediate reaction was, "Yes, that's what
I was thinking too!" I never could see the physics of NKT and "complete"
weight commitment for _skating_. And I always thought "length of glide" was
a false clue for speed (though fun when not racing), so I loved Vordenberg's
notorious slogan about "a gliding ski . . . "

Ooooo Vordenberg came up with a "notorious slogan" refrencing how a
gliding ski is continually slowing down. that would probably be the
reason that all of the elite skiers have been skiing at a high tempo
for a fairly long time. just cause he repakaged it doesnt make it
special. the "physics of the NKT" wasn't really anything special as
far as i have been able to tell. it was just a way of trying to get
people to fully comit their weight. In essance it was a visual clue.
the reason you want full weight committment is that it is free energy.
just try stepping from one ski fully onto the other; you get some
ammout of glide without having done anything really. free energy.
-laxer