Old December 18th 03, 01:03 PM
Ken Roberts

Default what I got from the New Skate

I'm not talking about cases of skiers _trying_ to be quiet, but not
completely succeeding. What I'm seeing in the videos of the World Cup
racers doing uphill V1 is: blatant obvious vigorous violation of the Quiet
Upper Body rule of the New Skate -- like for example the Carl Swenson video
on Janne G's website.

So I'll settle for one video clip of a World Cup skier _trying_ to be pretty
quiet doing uphill V1 in a race. Someone who is only a _little_ bit
violating the New Skate rule of "absolutely no shoulder rotation or twist or
shoulder tilt or dip ever".

Ken
doing V1 up a hill who is not violating the
"absolutely no shoulder rotation or shoulder tilt"
in the New Skate articles

Philip Nelson wrote
There is no such thing. In the ski progressions video, they don't even do
that. It's *quiet*, not dead. They have a drill where you hold your poles
first horizontally, and then vertically to get an idea of how much motion
there is on both planes. None of the example skiers had no motion, either
rotationally, or on the vertical axis (shoulder tilt).