Old March 17th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default Whining about WC team suit design and big "smock" bibs...

In the recent vids I've watched the suits seemed design to CAMOFLAGE
the racers. I never really did know who Newell was while I watched his
race! The amount of major color in the suits plus the stripes make
several of them just blur together.

I wonder if distinctive suits---and attractive ones---would help in
PR. I suppose it's a common refrain.

We all know how in the most popular sports one often can't tell who
your heroes are... And it's common for the color schemes of their
outfits to have little/no meaning. (NOT!)

Then there are those BIBS. They're huge---they also cover up A LOT of
the torso, the main part of the suit, giving all the racers this
dominant theme of a white chest.

The bibs do NOT make the skiers or their suits look good. But does
that matter? I think the attractiveness of the skiers would stand out
more with smaller bibs or a really downplayed number set-up. They
should pick ONE attractive way to ID players then let the other stuff
fall away. (Ah, but there has to be a BIG AD on the bibs, too... Just
like in the NBA?) NASCAR seems to be able to integrate hot graphic
design in with easy car ID.

In this age of high-tech it's only natural for a glamor sport to have
its players in skintight suits all wearing SMOCKS for bibs...yeah,
right.