Old February 13th 04, 08:29 PM
Dave Stallard

Jon C wrote:

Killington is maybe 3 hours from Boston and always has some great skiing.
It's usually crowded, but won't be on a Monday. Huge mountain, has
everything you could want. Nice glades.

I wouldn't say it's a huge mountain, I'd say it's a huge area that is
strung out over several peaks. Not my favorite, as I've said before.
Kind of the LA of VT ski mountains - think sprawl. But you'll always
find many people to argue against that point vociferously.

Okemo and Stratton are both entirely decent mountains within about 3 and a
half hours, I haven't been to either but they seem popular. Okemo has a
reputation as a great place for snowboarders.

Okemo is more "modern" than Stratton, but not in a good way. I don't
like it. Stratton is more of a classic area, but in a very expensive
sense of classic. A cruiser's mountain, par excellence.

Then there's Sugarbush. This is one of my favorite mountains. Pretty
unique, there's a chairlift that brings you to a completely different
mountain with quite different trails.

Sugarbush has a real old-time feel to it, but with modern high-speed
lifts. Not that many trails, but those it has count. I was just there
last weekend. One of the VT classics, along with Stowe, and the wilder
Mad River Glen.

Dave