Old March 28th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

Default Info on Zermatt

In article ,
Paul wrote:
* I gather that Zermatt is a ped-zone so how do we get from the Bahnhoff to
the hotel with luggage? Do we walk or is there an alternative?

Walk or electric carts.

Every Swiss town basically has it own subdomain. zermatt.ch in this case.
Typically in 3-4 languages (up to 6 in some case, Zermatt might be
closer to 6).

* what's the lift pass deal? How much? Where do you get them? Do you need a
photo? Any tips or traps?

Go into the tourist office and buy one. They have separate lines for
1st timers where they will explain the options. They are RIFDs, and the
longer passes I seem to recall they take your photo. I think 3days may
be the cut off. The rate should be on the web site.
I think you get a refund of a few SFs or you keep as a souvenir.

* we take our own boots but prefer to hire skis. Where's the best/most
convenient hire shop? What brands of kit are we likely to be offered (I like
to do a bit of research before I go)? I'm generally looking for something
like the Rossi B2;

Best to ask your hotel. They may rent. I do recall one was also an
internet hot spot.

* I gather the ski areas are all a bit separate and involve a fair hike to
the lifts. Any comments or suggestions about the lifts/ski areas (which are
best, or best in certain circumstances; what's the best sequence to do them
in?). My son is a very good, and I'm a pretty good, skier but we are likely
to be on-piste most of the time (so it is decreed by she who will not be
coming with us!);

Oh just ski around. Discovery is part of it. It will depend on the
weather. Sunny (Sunnhga or however you spell it) is OK, but down canyon
and out of the way. The train up to the Gornergrat should be
experienced as a tourist thing. They will close areas for avalanche.
Then there is the area below the Kleine Matterhorn: high, but easy where
the glaciers are, can be windy. Etc. Then 2 areas over in Italy
(Breuil/Cervina).

* in Austria and parts of Italy, the lifts have ski and boot storage
facilities to save you tromping about in boots etc. Is there anything like
that in Z and is it a waste of time anyway because of the way the slopes and
lifts are spread about?

At the train station and elsewhere, too fair except for the slow
Gornergrat train which is separate from the main line.

* any particular recommendations for mountain or village restaurants (though
we are half board) or for apres-ski?

None. I merely stayed twice at the hostel and over in Italy once.
I didn't go for the skiing so much as alpine tourism but I got 10 nice
days of skiing over 2 different seasons. I'm skiing other parts of the
Alps now.

* how technologically advanced is Zermatt? I'm going to have to do some work
while I'm there so I'll need some connectivity. I've got a 3G data card but
are there any convenient alternatives (and I don't include internet cafes in
the definition of 'convenient')?

I'm on vacation there.
Well they don't hold the World Economic Forum in Zermatt, nor do they
have a Rapier air defense system over it like Davos, but they are not
slouches. They don't have the center for the study of snow and ice like
Davos (one can at least argue for a supercomputer center in Davos), but
you should best check with your lodging. I've only used Internet cafes.
Like their defense, they tend to keep their technology hidden. If you
want technology I recommend the EPFL in Lausanne down the Rhone Valley
(the ETH prides itself more on theory).

You can watch Swiss F/A-18Cs on occasion fly over.

I've seen old wooden huts with modern photovoltaic arras on them in
Zermatt.

SCGB has a host in Z
worth trying to connect wirth her/him part way through the week?

They're their own droppings all over the Alps.
It's a judgment call on your part.
I try to make my own value. I only have limited time when I go on
vacation and I'd rather wait (like the Japanese [typically in day glow])
for others. You will not have time to do and see every thing.

* Anything else I should know but am too ignorant to ask?

You should ask questions about Italy and skiing over there and possibley
staying one night.

Best to read on Whymper and is role in the Matterhorn. See the Museum.
Get the history. Eat food, have a good time.