Old March 6th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
TOG@Toil

Default Why only ski Europe?

On 6 Mar, 11:36, "Jérémy" wrote:
"TOG@Toil" wrote :

On 6 Mar, 09:30, "Jérémy" wrote:
(The Older Gentleman) wrote
innews:1iw4e9s

:

You ski in ski resorts,

Rather than any old bit of mountain you feel like. Well, obviously
some people do this as well. But there's no point in having huge
mountains without pistes and lifts, is there?

You might be surprised to learn that if you go up any of the mountains
around here, especially at the weekend, you'll find lots of people on top
of them.

As time goes on I get less and less tolerant of the Butlins-esque
atmosphere at ski resorts, especially in the high season. I've done a fair
amount of skiing this winter, but very little of it has been in ski
resorts. Mostly it's been on the same hills where I walk and climb in
summer.

Anyway, the huge mountains don't (fortunately) have pistes and lifts on
them, or hardly any. The big resorts are mostly moyenne montagne, and
(again fortunately, as anyone who's seen the stations in summer will agree)
there's masses of moyenne montagne outside the stations.

Yes, I'm aware of all this. Never mind.