Old September 3rd 03, 12:31 AM
David Dermott

Default Ice-Skating with poles

On 31 Aug 2003, Fredrik wrote:

The posts about inline skating with poles to train for skiing made me
think of this: would skating with poles also be good as a ski-training?
Or does it go too fast on good ice? I know many people in Sweden skate
with poles, but they only use them for the hard parts, and my idea is to
use them all the time...
I will try it when there's ice here, is there anyone who tried it before?

I don't skate with poles for ski-training (just for the fun, when
there is no snow for skiing). So I can't answer the questions about ski
training benefits. Actually, I don't skate-ski at all, only classic.

I almost always have poles with me when skating. I don't use them all
the time, but poles give more options. It is very helpful to double-pole
across rough ice. Sometimes I just double-pole for a while to give my arms
a workout and my legs a rest.

It's probably not a good idea to use poles in a mass-race like
Vikingarännet or Elfstedentocht. "Drafting" would be rather dangerous
with poles.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email: