Old March 16th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Snowboard bag - leave bindings attached?

On Mar 16, 5:59 am, Jolly_O wrote:
A few weeks ago, Northwest lost my stuff at SLC also. It caught up
with me two days later. Up to the moment of delivery, they said that
they weren't absolutely sure that it was my bag - in spite of the fact
that there were TWO name tags on it. Can't they read?

Jack

On 21 Feb 2007 13:46:21 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 21, 1:53 pm, Nobody wrote:
On 21 Feb 2007 09:15:46 -0800, wrote:

On the plus side, since all the luggage was late, it wasn't my packing
strategy that caused the problem.

Joe Ramirez

JetBlue blues?

No, Northwest, but the level of ineptitude was similar. Our flight was
delayed for a long time because the pilots were unable to properly
input the flight plan. When they finally figured it out, we had been
taxiing for so long that we were short on fuel, so we had to go back
to the gate to refuel and de-ice again. We also had to make an
emergency stop in Chicago because a passenger had a medical problem
(though we were three hours late even without that stop). Of course we
missed our connection, causing both further delay as we scrambled and
fought to get on a later flight to SLC, and also the luggage snafu --
it was apparently rerouted to SLC via Missoula, Montana. My sister and
brother-in-law, who were meeting us in Utah, also had problems; their
flight was canceled and they had to buy a whole new set of tickets, so
they arrived in SLC at about the same time as my snowboard.

Where did you go in the SLC area, and how was the snow?

One day at Snowbird and one at Brighton. Beautiful sunny days with
blue skies. Maybe a little too warm on Sunday. The snow was very nice
at both resorts by my Pennsylvania standards -- soft and plentiful.
Lots of powder in the Mineral Basin area of Snowbird, I heard from my
other brother-in-law, who sort of took a bath in it; I did not venture
there myself. A very slight icy veneer began to form in the late
afternoon of both days; nothing unusual about that. I believe that
about 7 inches of snow fell in the canyons on Thursday night, but I
didn't experience it because Friday was my lost luggage day. However,
I have no complaints about the conditions I encountered.

Joe Ramirez- Hide quoted text -

What did you do in the meantime? This is like the worst nightmare
and could screw up your whole trip. Did you have to rent? Did they
reimburse you?

My worst experience was with British Airways, but fortunately it
wasn't snowboard related. They lost my main luggage bag and also a
seperate bag flying from Heathrow to Milan. And they were totally
incompetent and unable to track them down. I eventually found my
main luggage bag the day after my flight came in, sitting at the
airport in Milan. It was American Airlines that tracked it down for
me and told me that it should have come into Milan on a later BA
flight. I went back to the airport at 7am the next morning. And
it's a good thing I did. What was really amazing was that BA just
left it sitting in a corner of the baggage claim area with a dozen
other pieces of luggage, no lockup or supervision. Anyone could have
walked up and taken it and there was no security/customs checkpoint
after that. You would think they would have sense enough that when
it finally comes in, it's unclaimed and someone has to take it off the
belt, they would put it in a secure area. I never did find
the second bag. They eventually told me it was sent back to JFK,
despite my having given them a cell #, info on where I was staying,
etc in the loss report. And after it went to JFK, that was the last
anyone heard of it. I sure wasn't there to pick it up.

And recently, BA lost a friends luggage for a whole week. His flight
got delayed due to bad weather in Europe and when he got to JFK, no
luggge. They had a huge screw up at Heathrow. Which, is
understandable. But a week? At 4 days, they finally tell him it's
at JFK. But then, it takes another 3 days to get it to him in NJ?
And this guy has millions of freq flyer miles with AA, who he flew on
for most the trip and AA is BA's partner, his bags are marked as
Platinum priority, etc. He's in AA's top 1% of customers and he was
flying business class on a $4500 ticket. If they treat him like
that, God help the rest of us. To AA's credit, when he complained to
them, they gave him 50,000 freq flier miles for the inconvenience.