Old October 27th 03, 12:57 AM
Colin Irvine

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:59:15 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

Stop trying to make the world behave the
way you want it to.

No.

That is what a discussion, possibly followed by voting, process are
for.

Try and change my view, by all means, using reasoned argument. But
please don't tell me not to participate in this discussion/vote. Which
is what that last sentence of yours boils down to.

OK. My argument is this.

Someone is wanting to set up a new newsgroup. You don't like the idea.
Fine. But - for you to feel that way is one thing, while for you to
actively try and stop them is another - and, IMHO, is pursuing your own
interests too far [1].

I'm not saying Usenet must always be allowed to run its own course in
every direction. What I do say is that regulation should be kept to a
minimum, and I think that precludes regulating the number of groups for
reasons other than the practicality of administering them.

[1] Although you'll no doubt claim that you're acting for the good of
all rather than simply to suit yourself.

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.