Old December 31st 04, 09:06 PM
lonerider

Heather wrote:
Hello again

In order to educate myself a little more about how the
professionals teach as well as hopefully correct some of
my own lazy habits that I may have got into, I am considering
buying the "AASI Snowboard Manual" and the "AASI Snowboard
Movement Analysis Handbook" from their site.

https://www.psia.org/oms/store05/home.asp?cat=EDU&sub=2

If they had a DVD instead of a VHS, I would get that instead
of the second book perhaps.

Does anybody have any comments on these for self-learning ?
Or are they useless without taking the course ?

I have actuallly read somewhere that the Canadians' CASI
literature is better but I was unable to find any of
their instructor manuals available on
http://www.casi-acms.com
Does anybody know where to get them ?
Thank you all and happy new year

Heather

From what I've read, many instructors think the AASI materials are a

good *starting point* (although they were written in 1998 according to
the website) they are not the definitive authority on snowboard
technique or teaching - and many will teach stuff in addition or
different from the AASI manual. Some people prefer CASI to AASI and
some view all such organizations with a bit of contempt.

Here are a few topic I found, searching for AASI on BOL

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...highlight=AASI

So it sounds like it could give you some basic pointers, however... I
think a lot of the bad habits we get are subconscious and you only can
fix those if you have someone else watch you, or video yourself riding
and compare that to what you think you should be doing.

So I'm not saying that getting the AASI stuff is a waste of money, just
that you still will probably need to augment it with lessons and video
review. Where do you ride, I think the trick is to find a recommended
instructor in your area and go with them.