Old December 29th 03, 12:14 PM

Default There goes the snow ... buh bye.

That Timex GPS thingee has not yet exceeded 50kph on snow, but close,
and we had very fast conditions (and very nice) at Highlands this
weekend. (I think the good conditions will survive this warm stretch.)
I was in full tuck when it gave high 40's, and possibly there's a slight
underestimate due to sample spacing.

I'm nothing like an elite racer, but I do almost invariably make up
time on downhills, and have never been passed by the top younger
guys on downhills in individual start races. So it seems to me
that these estimates of 90kph for WCers on fast downhills are
somewhat exaggerated. I don't even know whether snowmobiles have
speedometers, but if so, have they ever actually shown what the
TV camera operators get up to when following these WCers? In the
Tour de France, they do that sometimes on the motorbikes, but
there it is often said that the claims are exaggerated, and that
the speedometers are very inaccurate. Of course you can't disbelieve
the 50kph _average_ speeds in some time trials, since the distances
are likely accurate and the times certainly are.

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed that my max speeds aren't coming out
higher, so that I can brag to those wimpy alpine skier friends!

Best, Peter