Old December 1st 14, 09:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 06:11:43 -0800 (PST)
Jon wrote:

Agreed--very interesting.

I always wonder how to translate these type of findings into lessons
for casual athlete. And in skiing, seems particularly tough--e.g.,
if I only get a chance to ski hills on a weekend trip, do I really
want to spend my time walking up them? (When do I practice my uphill
V1 technique, in that case?) What if it's slow conditions and staying
at level 1 means not just slow, but ridiculously slow?

Skiing slowly while paying attention to technique is what I spent most
of the time doing at West Yellowstone this past week. Very different
than what I've done in the past, where I mixed it up a lot more. Even
on the more serious hills I was able to keep my HR down for the most
part; with those no-wax demo Madshus Ultrasonics on the warm days, with
their dynamite grip, it wasn't hard. Seiler was speaking generally, not
that in the midst of a slow workout one can't go upbeat briefly. But
the thing is to pick terrain to match the workout goal, to the degree
possible.

Gene