Old March 15th 06, 02:16 PM

geoff wrote:

I am thinking the Voile 3-pin Cable binding is the way to go since you
can take off the cable for extended touring.

On the other hand, you /can't/ take out the pins when you want the cable
on for downhill, which means that in the sort of snow conditions that
clog up your bindings they are an utter, utter PITA to get on, so while
they sometimes really do give the best of both worlds, sometimes you get
the worst as well...

I am wonderin' if they plan to design a lighterweight cable binding now..

For what values of "lightweight"? Riva 3s aren't exactly what you'd
call incredibly heavy, it's easy to loosen the cables off a bit for kick
'n stick and they're much, much easier than any flavour of rat-traps to
get in and out.

Having said that, on my "classic tourers" (my old XCDs have been
replaced by Dynastar Montagne Plus), which I use with original brown T3s
(broadly similar to the Excursion in most respects) I use Rotafella
Super Telemark 3 pins, which of course have the same entry/exit problems
as the Voiles, but I'm not paying for and carting about a cable that's
pretty much surplus to requirements for the sort of downhill I'll do on
those skis, and the extra downhill power of the plastic boots more than
makes up for the cable IME if you're comparing them to a similar setup
powered with leather touring boots.

For more serious downhill escapades I'll use a wider ski with a Riva 3
to keep me on-board. Having to use pins even when I don't want them is
a deal-breaker for me on the Voiles, though as a one size fits all
solution it /is/ a good bit of kit.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK