Old December 16th 03, 06:05 PM
MattB

"snoig" wrote in message
om...
lal_truckee wrote in message

snip

Try those lines Monique, you may find them easier since they were made
by pros. Also when it comes to bump skiing, shaped skis = bad.
Pretty much all bumpers still use the old school straight skis. I'm
sure there will be plenty of arguments from this group and the most
vocal will probably be the ones who have never actually competed.

snoig

Yep, the better bump skiers make the better lines, to a point. I wouldn't
send our fair friend Monique to some big, heavily pounded competition
course. I've skied some courses with ruts you could hide a VW in. The skiing
surface alternated between boilerplate hard and pummeled sugar. Neither are
particularly forgiving for the uninitiated (or anyone else).

I also agree on the ski choice. If you are competitive, then classic shapes
(straight) are the way to go. You just can't achieve the lead change speed
on shaped skis you can with true bump skis. I used to compete, but now I
just ski for fun. I never ski a true bump ski anymore because I like to ski
all over the mountain. Ever try to ski a little bump ski for some high speed
chowder turns? Pretty squirrelly! Bumps can still be skied well on shapes (I
like my Salomon Super Mountain mid-fats), but you can't get that "wiggly
worm" effect as well on them. I'm OK with that - it's still fun and I can
still stay in all but the most brutal lines.

Matt