Old March 20th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eric Nevalainen

Default Big Man Skate Rollerskis

On Mar 20, 9:13 am, "delltodd" wrote:
I have a ski buddy who weighs about 200 pounds. He needs to get some
skate rollerskis. Terrain is primarily asphalt rails to trails.

What skate rollerskis should a Big Guy consider ?

If I had to start over (147 pounds) I would probably go with a new
pair of Marwe's. They feel great, and plenty of very good skiers are
on them.

But the Marwe's are a light design, are they sturdy enough for a 200 #
skier ? Will he burn thru wheels ?

One buddy (170#) swaps his Marwe's (right for left) at every
turnaround when we do a long out & back.

I know one other Big Guy (220#), and he goes for the old school V2
little wheel model. But I think everyone would agree that there is a
safety factor loss with the little wheels. What he gains is wheel
life.

I currently have the little blue wheel proski S2. They are fine, but
that wheel does wear away noticeably, and I'm not very big. I'm sure a
Big Guy would shave that wheel down quickly. They are intolerable on
chipseal, but fine on standard issue asphalt.

I weigh in at about 220, and have had good luck w. the Elpex F1
running a #3 wheel.
It rolls well on the bike paths I normally ski on at home (some are
smoother than others)
I'm sure the alu. shaft doesn't make for the smoothest ride out
there, but for my puropses,
they have worked quite well

I swap the skis right to left w. each wearing to keep the wheelwear
even, and they've handled
their share of nasty spills quite well.....better than me actually.

Give 'em a look.

Eric