Old November 7th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Default Going off trail

Ken Roberts wrote:
Terje Mathisen wrote
Afaik all the fastest traverses of the "Haute Route" has been done with
nordic touring skis.

Interesting claim. Never heard it before. I assume you mean some route
between like Argentiere and Zermatt. How about some details and support?

I have no personal experience of this, which is why I put the name in
quotes, but I've been told so by people I trust.

OTOH I have my own experience which is that it is perfectly possible to
climb up & down _very_ steep mountains in competition xc gear, even if
the snow varies between glazed, packed drifts and sudden powder pockets.

Yes, you have to either go _very_ slow, which would exhaust you, or just
be a good skier willing to take a few falls.

For the rest, let's just agree to disagree, OK?

Terje

--
-