Old December 11th 03, 08:11 PM
Serge

Default slide boards (was: skate technique for bicyclists)

Roll-up slideboards have two disadvantages:

1. they are to short for anybody mildly athletic (about 6-7').
2. side rests are inadequate (often too low and unpadded).

I made my own:

The best surface is high-grade Formica (about $40 for 4x9' piece at Home Depot).
I put mine right on hardwood floor w/carpet tape and cover it with berber.

When I need it, I slide off the rug and screw rests on - no hinges, folding
or storing. Rests are made from 2x1 and strips cut of foam knee pad are glued on.

Usable length is 8-9' and resistance can be increased if you spray
Armorall on it. I use cordura nylon sockets over sneakers.

As limited tool as it is, slideboard is very good for cyclists and runners
to brake familiar "up and down" foot pattern and get ready to skate motion.