Old December 11th 03, 02:20 PM
Chris Cline

Default slide boards (was: skate technique for bicyclists)

--0-1547914508-1071155574=:4658

I've seen "roll-up" slide boards in department stores-- they usually have a picture of a serious athlete like Christy Brinkley or Suzanne Sommers (or, to be gender-equal, Chuck Norris) on the box. But, they are compact and inexpensive. They are essentially a piece of slick flexible plastic with bumpers on either end. Portable, too. It's been a while since I've actually seen one on a store shelf, so it may be something that will more likely be found on an eBay hunt.

Chris

Ken Roberts wrote:
Yes there's a detailed discussion of slideboards in Audun Endestad and John
Teaford's XC ski racing book in 1987 (also a careful discussion about
effective off-season training on inline skates).

The big problem with a slideboard for me is fitting one into our little
apartment -- because it's at least 7 feet (2.2m) long. Endestad said you
can cut it and put a hinge in the middle -- has anyone tried this? with
which model of slideboard?

I've also found a machine at my gym which is great for training my hip
abductors to push out to the side from a standing position, but I haven't
seen it most other places. Most hip abductor machines I've tried force me
into a sitting position which doesn't feel very skating-specific.

Now I've maxed out the weight on the machine, so now my exercise on it is
becoming high-rep, getting closer to an interval workout than real strength
training. Maybe that's a good thing.

Ken

--0-1547914508-1071155574=:4658

DIVI've seen "roll-up" slide boards in department stores-- they usually have a picture of a serious athlete like Christy Brinkley or Suzanne Sommers (or, to be gender-equal, Chuck Norris) on the box.  But, they are compact and inexpensive.  They are essentially a piece of slick flexible plastic with bumpers on either end.  Portable, too.  It's been a while since I've actually seen one on a store shelf, so it may be something that will more likely be found on an eBay hunt./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChrisBRBRBIKen Roberts >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Yes there's a detailed discussion of slideboards in Audun Endestad and JohnBRTeaford's XC ski racing book in 1987 (also a careful discussion aboutBReffective off-season training on inline skates).BRBRThe big problem with a slideboard for me is fitting one into our littleBRapartment -- because it's at least 7 feet (2.2m) long. Endestad said youBRcan cut it and put a hinge in the middle -- has anyone tried this? withBRwhich model of slideboard?BRBRI've also found a machine at my gym which is great for training my hipBRabductors to push out to the side from a standing position, but I haven'tBRseen it most other places. Most hip abductor machines I've tried force meBRinto a sitting position which doesn't feel very skating-specific.BRBRNow I've maxed out the weight on the machine, so now my exercise on it isBRbecoming high-rep, getting closer to an in!
terval
workout than real strengthBRtraining. Maybe that's a good thing.BRBRKenBRBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21260/*http://photos.yahoo.com"New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing/a
--0-1547914508-1071155574=:4658--