Old March 6th 06, 06:37 PM

Largest in continental Europe -- although that doesn't say all that
much.
But, as far is i know (Folgefonna, Svartisen) they are different: less
crevasses and seracs, if at all (?)

You guys have the Alestch.

In article ,
Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
But Martin is right, Aletschgletscher is way way smaller than
Jostedalsbreen ...

Aletschgletscher is a valley glacier
Jostedalsbreen from reading a map and what I have read is an ice sheet.
There are crevasses and seracs forming on the spill out areas.
I think some one did a research project to tunnel into one side and
instrument the thing.

Actually, I thought of another more sociological difference between the
US and Europe, especially the Alps. From my first trip I read some
where that European women were 4x more likely than US women to recreate
outdoors in the Alps. And I saw far more skinning up runs at areas than
I've ever seen in the USA. Even solo as well in small groups, not
always necessarily with guys.