Old November 19th 03, 11:20 PM
DJ

Default Best advice for a first time xc'er

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Serge wrote:
I mean, you can get a high - end racing bike and and ride around
casually;
many people do. You can not do anything on high - end racing ski but
train and race on prepared surface.

That's not true:

I have skied more than 10 times from north to south of Telemark county
in Norway (a 180 km backcountry, four-day trip) using my skate skis
(with grip wax on them though).

Skate skis are slightly easier to control than classics, since they have
a straight edge instead of a significantly narrower front and tail.

Terje

I agree with Terje - I've done a lot of light touring with my track/racing
skis and boots (in the US and Norway). In some conditions they're not
optimal (side slope ice, heavy trail breaking, packing), but they can work
fine for an afternoon's tour. On the other hand, a lot of people do a lot
better and have a lot more fun touring with a little broader ski and more
ankle support in the boot.

DJ