Old July 13th 03, 10:54 PM
Cyrus

Default Bicycling as ski imitation?

Jim Farrell wrote in message

He was also said to destroy his cranks by only pushing on the downward
part of the stroke. No spinning for him!

Very interesting. I just had a road bike race today (I do one a year
just for fun) which was 110km on very hilly terrain in the Foothills
just south west of Calgary. There was about 50 people in my category
which consisted of all the riders 30 years and younger or and any
elite masters. So basically there is a whole spectrum of riders from
cat1 all the way down to unlicensed riders like myself.
This race was going really good for me until the 92km point. I was in
the lead group of about 15 guys when my crank just cracked. It was
totally bent and could not pass through the rear triangle as it was
hitting the chainstay.
I guess XC skiers and spinning do not go very well together. Maybe if
I listened to one of the riders in the pack who told me to bring it up
a gear, I might have finished but then I couldn't say that I am so
strong that I can crack crankarms.