Old March 29th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jolly_O

Default Newbie question - on the flat

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:03:09 +0200, Octessence
wrote:
So I would say, aim
for using your edges more to avoid slamming. It might slow you down
more than just keeping the board flat, but it saved on pain until you
get a better feel for things.

You are so right. On my last trip, I was careful to stay on one edge
or the other most of the time, and I had an entire day without a major
body slam. I'm sure that I have a few more random falls left in me,
but I'm getting the hang of it.

As you suggest, this will certainly become second nature and next year
I'll wonder why I had so much trouble. I watched my teenaged daughter
learn to board two years ago (she won't teach me because she thinks
dad's shouldn't snowboard), and I observed her struggling for seven or
eight days, and then things just "clicked". I feel like I'm ready to
break out too.

Thanks for your help,
Jack