Old March 30th 05, 10:03 PM
Andrew Lee

Ken Roberts wrote:
Andrew Lee wrote
... try the ab driven leg recovery ...

Yes I did, and I like it. I haven't actually done any sort of side-by-side
comparison against my old way, because once I got into doing Andrew's new
thing I found I had no interest in going back.

Good! I knew it would work because I had the same experience. It was the
single most helpful tip I learned from this newsgroup a couple of years ago.

... try the weight over the front of the foot ...

Yes, this tip worked well for me too -- especially in the final phase of
my
leg-push, when I combined it with JanneG's and Jay "Bjorne" Wenner's idea
of
setting the next ski down low and smooth. I liked what happened when I
would
land the next ski early, before the end of previous leg-push -- then focus
the finish of that old push on the fore-foot. Felt like that helped me
direct that final push into the line of the new ski -- which when I was
climbing up a steep hill was aimed distinctly out to the side.
During the early or main phases of my leg-push, I found it hard to make
myself focus on my forefoot. Out of the few times I could talk myself into
it earlier in my push, at least once it seemed to bog my ski down and
almost
stop my glide -- because I was in soft snow. Maybe I need an additional
tip
about that.

I think you have it. I was thinking of the main push. It probably doesn't
happen at the beginning because if you recover your leg forward relative to
your center of mass, you necessarily have more weight farther back on that
foot, neutral I would say. Part of the weight might also be on the final
part of your push on the other foot's forefoot in V1. You'll probably
notice that you can stay on the front more in V2, V2A because you don't have
as large a step forward. Make adjustments by feel when skiing different
terrain and techniques.

You might notice that both the ab/hip movement and the weight forward/push
are similar to what you should be doing while classic skiing...