Old March 27th 05, 04:31 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Spirit Mtn several miles south of Duluth, did hold and not get too soft
for productive skating until after 1:30 or so. They have very decent
trails. Got in 4 hrs in a 5 hr period for my last day of the season,
including an hour of no wax classical. My old RCS double crowns, circa
1996, had suprisingly good glide in the soft but not really mushy
tracks.

Gene

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Still going strong up in Duluth and up the north shore. My gosh, is
Sugarbush fun, esp. the 25k Picnic loop (+ another 5 to/fro) and the
ungroomed Onion River Road extension which is a gradual climb out. I'm
hoping Spirit Mtn holds until the weekend.

Gene

"Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" wrote:

Eddie Luban wrote:
There's still plenty of snow in Central New York and the Tug Hill
area. The real skiers are still out there, though some who call
themselves that have already turned to cycling.

Last Friday, we got our largest snow storm for the season (4-5 inches),
so I was able to ski locally on Sat and then drove to Elm Creek to ski
on artificial snow on Sun. The local natural snow had turned to rutted
ice by Sun morn, and 30 min north at Elm Creek, they didn't get snow.

Even though Elm Creek was groomed well and the snow was in good shape,
it was just painful to ski there. I've seen the place too much. The Sat
ski on ungroomed snow was much more enjoyable.

Jay Wenner