Old November 1st 04, 07:07 AM
AH

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message

AH wrote:

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
When I started skiing last spring, I wanted to get my own skis to
enhance the learning process by removing the variable of different
skis. But I didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I shopped the big
end of season sales at the Internet merchants. I picked the skis that
seemed to be the most appropriate, looking only at the most heavily
discounted (over 50%) models. I ended up with Rossi Saphir Snow 2
skis,
and they seemed to work well for me. But I still wondered just how
"right" they actually were for me.

So yesterday, when I took them in to be waxed, the ski shop kid said
"Oh, how do you like those skis?" I said I liked them, I guessed, but
having skied for only 8 ski days, I wasn't really in a position to
judge. Turning it around, I asked him if he knew the skis, and he
allowed that he did. He went on to talk about them a bit, and I came
realize that these were pretty darn close to ideal for where I'm at
with
skiing.

Considering that the Lange boots I bought because they were really
cheap
ended up fitting my narrow feet quite well, all in all I'm quite happy
with my discount internet skis

Consider: under $400 for skis, bindings, boots and poles, all brand
new,
but most of it previous years models.

I can hardly wait to once again use my cheap skis, but this time I'll
be
wearing my lovely lavender 70% off ski jacket, and my new purple
Obermyer pants which were, alas, not even 50% off.

It's been so very frustrating, knowing that the mountains are starting
to open up, but I'm too snowed under with work and duties to get away.
But relief should be at hand, next week, yay!

Lisa

Sounds like you got some pretty good deals.. but make sure you get to the
slopes at least 10 days this year, or you would have been better off
renting..

Well, I got in 5 days on them in my short last season, and I anticipate
getting at least that many, if not much more, before New Years

But I'm dubious if comparing the price of the outfit with the price of
rentals is an accurate comparison, by itself. There are advantages to
owning, like never having to wait for the rental gear, not taking the
time to fit the rental gear. Also, I feel that skiing on the same pair
of skis each time makes the learning process easier, but that's
certainly not an expert opinion!

Lisa

All good points.. but if you don't ski very much, and you have to travel a
bit to get to the slopes then I still think its better to rent.. that way,
you don't have to lug ski's on planes, and you are always skiing on the
latest gear..

It all depends..