Old February 27th 04, 06:31 AM
Sharkie

Default Excessive Leg Strain Carving at High Speeds

(phil) wrote in message . com...
To say that any experimentation with stance is verboten seems to be to
be a little blinkered to say the least. Saying it multiple times makes
me wonder what you're so excited about. Relax and try to explain
yourself: shouting and repetition don't help.

You're right. The repetition was unnecessary. But I didn't mean to imply
that I'm against stance experimentation. Quite the opposite!
There is no universal "one stance fit all". What I was (repetitively)
saying no to, was the idea that duck stance might be a hindrance to
carving. Based on my own, and several others people I know experiences,
this is not the case.

The idea that duck stance is bad for carving is a myth that does
not hold true.

Many people I see trying to ride duck "at high speeds" clearly sorely
need the benefit of your advice... perhaps you'd like to explain a bit
more about how you achieve this with your stance?

See my other post in this thread. Also, from a symmetric duck stance
I'm able to shift my weight forward or back easily (depending on where
in the turn I am), I'm able to flex more or less (literally)
to increase or lessen pressure, and edge by rolling feet between
toes and heels. All these movements are enough for powerful carves,
and can be done very effectively from a duck stance.

Riding switch is just a nice bonus.

And as for "high speeds" it requires practice. There is a certain
combination between pressure, weight distribution and edging which is
optimal for certain speeds, and to find it, you need to ride a lot
on steeper slopes. After a while you will develop a feeling where
you simply will know which combination is optimal.

I guess similar applies to car racers, they have to know (feel)
how fast they can take a turn w/o slipping out of it.