Old February 3rd 09, 09:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Default Les Arcs

Ace wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 03:18:50 -0800 (PST), Excess
wrote:

On Jan 29, 10:35 am, BrritSki wrote:

I am picking BrratSki up in Les Arcs tomorrow and to avoid me driving
all the way up the mountain we are intending to meet up in Bourg St.
Maurice, but I can't google up a piste map that shows me where the link
up from Bourg arrives in Les Arcs.

Can someone advise please ? Ace, this means you

It's definitely a good idea to use public transport! I was there just
a week ago and I was shocked to see that you now have to pay for all
public parking spaces- just at 1800 and 2000 I think. There is a gate
on the road below 1800 for instance where you take a ticket and then
you pay on your way out. Think it cost €70-€80 Euros per week so not
cheap

Did you check the parking at the bottom of the funicular? I know it
always used to be free, so I'd hope they'd leave it so to encourage
people to leave their cars down there.

I was shocked on arriving at Arc 1600 before Christmas to see all the
cars parked there and thought the resort must be full to bursting. It
wasn't. It appears that since they have introduced the toll road to 1800
people just drop their bags off at 1800 and then drive down, park in the
Plan Devin car park and nip onto the free shuttle back to 1800. Over the
New Year week it was almost impossible to park in 1600. I wonder what
it will be like this month.

Though it was announced that car parking at the funicular in Bourg will
be charged it appeared still to be free at Christmas. Probably to stop
all the roads in Bourg being clogged with parked cars.

The pistehors website had an article on the dispute and the legal battle
being fought over the impossition of toll charges on a public road (the
road through 1800 carries on to Vallandry and Nacroix.