Old October 25th 04, 08:05 PM
The Real Bev

Dmitry wrote:

"Walt" wrote

I thought car rental companies frowned on the use of chains,

Yes they do. They also frown on driving on unpaved (dirt) roads.
What they don't know won't hurt them. But you could be in trouble if
they find out.

This is quite strange, chains/cables are, among other things, a safety
device. I'd imagine rental companies will get suied in a blink of an eye
if they prohibit chain installation..

Perhaps they prohibit driving their cars in areas where chain
installation is required.

apparently real made-out-of-real-chain chains don't fit in the
wheel-wells of modern cars.

I think it depends on the car.

A lot of expensive cars, esp. with sport package/big wheels don't
have enough clearence for chains. But cheaper ones that are
the bulk of what rental companies offer should not be a problem.

Aren't the ones with cable on the sides and what look like aluminum
beads on the tread surface supposed to work? Painful closure method,
at least those nasty red things on conventional chains didn't slice your
fingers open and could be dealt with nicely with Channellocks if they
gave trouble.

--
Cheers,
Bev