Old June 29th 05, 08:03 PM
Terje Henriksen

Years ago, when I was putting in very high mileage weeks racewalking,
I had recourse to salt tablets; they worked. It was summer; I had been
walking and drinking a lot and yet, one day I felt horribly stiff,
just could not loosen up - like my muscles did not want to work.
Electrolytes? I went home and took two salt tabs and a lot of water.
The next day I was OK. From then on I included a tab a day during warm
weather and, as JFT mentioned, before long races.
Supposedly taking salt tabs can be bad for your stomach - creating a
brine pocket - if you do not take enough water with the tab. One also
has to take them, in a sense, BEFORE the body needs them.

I have good experience taking them during a 90 km crosscountry ski race.
Taking them before the race does not feel good at all because one then is
probably already filled with salt and energy and water, and the electrolyte
balance is very OK. Salt at that moment will make it worse.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes