Old September 18th 10, 08:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Default Zermat

On 17/09/2010 23:15, Pip Luscher wrote:
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:43:21 +0200,
wrote:

On 15/09/2010 01:32, Dynastarian wrote:
Thinking about going in Feb. (2 wks.) . Looking for cheap room w/
breakfast.
Any tips or faves ?

Yes, go somewhere else - see my recent post on Z.

I sem to have missed your post and lost my Google mojo. What was the
upshot of it? I was vaguely toying with the idea of going there next
year for a week.

I went in my first couple of years of skiiing on real snow and as a
result, was only able to ski about half the resort. I always intended
to go back when I was a better skier.

Ooops, it was posted in rec.skiing.alpine, but here's the question and
my reply:

On 06/09/2010 18:50, BrritSki wrote:
On 06/09/2010 18:27, Chile Ski wrote:
My friends and I are planning a late Feb ski trip to either Zermatt or
Val D'Isere. The original idea was to take advantage of the low Euro
now before it gets up again, but as Switzerland is not on the Euro, we
are curious as to relative prices as well as ski experience, food
experience, recommended hotels, recommended guides. Please, if anyone
has comment, please let me know

Zermatt is the sort of place that everyone should ski once. The
tradition, Matterhorn backdrop, ice caves, mountain railway and height
alone make it a must for some people. Having said that I won't be going
back - I didn't think the actual skiing was that great - even the
off-piste with a guide (but then I'm not thgat good at off-piste skiing)
and the lift system really REALLY sucks, taking up to 2 hours to get
from the base to the very top on 3 different lifts.

Val d'Isere/Tignes is far better organised and there is a much bigger
range of skiing. Still not my favourite though, which is the 3V,
Courchevel in particular, but not in January when it's crawling with
Russians.