Old August 7th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default What's the secret to long glide with poles?

If you're trying to maximize the glide, which is a good exercise
but breaks the natural speed rhythm, your arms will be idle for a
moment. On the poling side, they should have been brought forward, up
high, readied for the next dp. On the free glide side they'll hang
back extended naturally in dp glide position until they need to come
forward in time with the next skate off and poling. This should all be
pretty instinctive, which leads me to wonder if your no-pole imitation
problem has to do with either timing and/or arm/hand placement when
poling. The latter would be extending out too far, which could throw
off the rhythm (delay the poling motion) and would definitely force the
butt back (counterbalance).

Rather than try to explain all this in detail blind, first take a
look at some of the skate videos suggested in the recent thread,
"Internet sources on skate technique."

Gene

Larry wrote:

Heeding advice of the masters, I do at least one pole-less rollerski
session per weekend in addition to skiing with poles. Turns out, I
actually enjoy pole-less much more - I don't get tired as quickly and
my rythm and balance are way better without poles, especially when I
have both of my hands behind my back. When I try to imitate poling,
glide disappears, balance is all over the place and there's no rythm
to speak of. Also, all of a sudden there's this creep towards the
toilet seat posture. When I go out with poles, it doesn't feel as
awful but still worse than when I keep my hands still. So: how do I
learn to ski with poles?

Just thought of another question: let's say I'm doing a fairly
leisurely V2-alt on a flat surface. If I'm trying to maximize the
glide, what are my arms supposed to do while I'm still gliding? I find
myself in an awkward pause with my arms kind of hanging down and
waiting before going into the next cycle. It doesn't seem right to
stop the glide just to give my arms something to do. Ideas?

Many thanks!