Old November 23rd 05, 05:25 PM

Walt wrote:
Well, if Utah goes the way of the infidel, you can always move to South
Carolina: http://www.christianexodus.com/

Enjoy!

Walt's link references a WND article:
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35420

That article details supposed attacks on Christianity, including this
ditty:

"In Missouri, when fourth-grader Raymond Raines bowed his head in
prayer before his lunch in the cafeteria of Waring Elementary School in
St. Louis, his teacher allegedly ordered him out of his seat, in full
view of other students present, and sent him to the principal's
office. After his third such prayer "offense," little Raymond was
segregated from his classmates, ridiculed for his religious beliefs,
and given one week's detention."

It seemed sketchy so I looked for original sources. It appears to be
based on an American Enterprise story that references this case:

"Raines v. Cleveland Young (1994) Raymond Raines, an elementary school
student in St. Louis, Missouri, was placed in a week-long detention for
bowing his head over his lunch. School officials interrupted the fourth
grader on at least three separate occasions when he attempted to say a
private prayer over his lunch in the Waring School cafeteria. On each
occasion, Raines was taken to the principal's office and told to stop
praying over his lunch."

I can find no original sources that reference Raines v. Cleveland
Young. I suspect neither can American Enterprise. They deleted it from
their website. I was able to source it thanks to Google cache:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:HlSFnOoD3iQJ:www.taemag.com/printVersion/print_article.asp%3FarticleID%3D16467+%22Raymond+R aines%22+prayer&hl=en&lr=lang_en|lang_de

If this is indeed an actual case, I'd love to see the majority opinion.

Jeff