Old November 21st 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default ski pass

Ace wrote:

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:20:42 -0000, "stephenjwalker"
wrote:

hello
family going to passo tonale in mid jan the only thing i have yet to book is
lift passes. does it make any difference to price booking with thomas
cook -- or on line or waiting till we get there ( It will be very late sat
night before we get there )

Normally the only difference is that if you prebook you'll save
queuing and it'll be there at breakfast the next morning. Be aware,
though, that you'll be required to have money and photos (depending on
resort, but some still use them) ready on the bus from the airport, so
if you'd rather not waste money on UK exchange rates or hunt for an
ATM at the airport you may prefer to get your own.

It's also good to be aware that your resort staff will get a
discounted rate on lift passes, but that this will not generally be
passed onto you. So the price printed on the pass may be less than
what you've paid. This is quite normal, and plays a large part in
resort worker politics.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Hi Ace,

Is that true that the workers can get passes for other people at the
discounted rates? I know the (quite byzantine) rules vary from resort
to resort, but the lift operating companies seem pretty hot on making
sure you pay the right rate. I'm 99% certain they wouldn't get away
with it in Tignes for example, although the workers obviously get their
passes at knock-down rates. Hmmm.. maybe I'll have to ask around some
more company reps this winter...

Matt