Old December 15th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
RightEagle

Default Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

On Dec 14, 7:10 pm, Christopher Cox
wrote:
Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Bob F wrote:

That's a pound of wax for 20 "skier visits". Really?

Just looking at the Swix website, I note their small pack of wax is 60
g. That's the standard 3 bar pack, and I'll get probably 10 waxings or
more for each bar. So that's 2 g of wax per application, and I'll wax
every few days. Assuming the entire application transfers to the snow,
that's under 1 g/skier visit, so he's out by a factor of 20 or more (1
lb == 454 g). Not to mention that I wax pretty frequently compared to
Joe Touron, who at best gets his skis waxed at the start of the season.

Neil

Oh, it's probably allot less than that.
The majority of a hot wax application is scrapped off during/right after
a hot wax.

Thin to win!

Chris- Hide quoted text -

It is simple math, the potential quoted is 2,815,500 pounds of wax.
If you multiply the 2,815,500 times 16 ounces then you get 45 million
ounces. 45 million ounces equates to .75 ounces per skier visit (3/4
of 1 ounce, not 20 pounds). And yes 3/4 of 1 ounce is lot but some
people use more on their boards than skis, or it can be switched.

Also, you are right alot of it gets scraped off before you ski and
ends up on the floor. But those scrapings have to go somewhere. Plus,
you know most of your wax is gone after the first few runs anyway so a
lot of people use rub on wax during the day.

So the potential is 3/4 of 1 ounce (.75) not 20 pounds. Isn't it
better to use an all natural alternative than a toxic Crude oil soup?