Old January 17th 10, 04:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

Default More Start Grip Tape report: slips above 35F

jeff potter wrote:
I tried the tape last winter and liked it. But I guess I didn't try it
on a warm day.

Today I tried it when it was, like, 34-35F and it had NO GRIP at all!
Rats!

I was thinking it would be great for long ski-tour days when I start
at cold below freezing and end up in the sunny warm afternoon. But it
looks like NO. I mean, from what I read it might hang in there until
JUST that 34 mark. But who wants to worry about that?

I'm also noticing the remarks about the Rex Tape -- they have a warm
and cold. I wonder if that's better.

I might do a big day this weekend. It'll be icy and start at, like,
25F and end at 35F.

--JP

People have claimed that it works at the upper end of the
listed range. Never has for me though.

It was warm today (5C/41F)and I had the chance to try the
Toko klister spray. It worked OK, and much better than the
Start tape. It didn't work well enough to forgive poor
technique, I had troubles slipping when my weight transfer
wasn't good. But it was acceptable and was less sensitive
than I was expecting to crossing sun/shade boundaries.

It was still above freezing when the sun went down so I
didn't get to see how it worked when it was colder.

Bob Schwartz