Old August 16th 03, 10:16 AM
Douglas Diehl

Default LT Training for Lance, Why Not Nordic Skiers?

Actually I'm not talking about two different things. I'm referring to
optimal methods for endurance training. As you mentioned cyclists do time
trails very similar to Nordic skiing. Moreover, triathletes and mountain
bike racers aren't coasting or drafting, but rather pushing their limits
above the LT threshold. Perhaps I should have used Bill Koch's name as a
reference for LT training rather than Lance's to avoid any cycling
comparison. As many readers know Lee Borowski uses Koch as an example. Which
brings me back to my question about the value of LT training. Bjorn Daehlie
describes his interval sessions as roller skiis or runs up very steep
mountains with his coach waiting to give him a ride back down. At the end of
each interval he was completely maxed out. Clearly not LT training. For
years many coaches mantras was not to train at a moderate paces or you would
end up racing at a moderate pace. So LT workouts seem contradictory to
racing faster
"Janne G" wrote in message
Douglas Diehl wrote:

Last fall many R.S.N. readers discussed LT training, but many issues

seem
unanswered. From reading training records for Lance Armstrong, it is
apparent LT training (training slightly below or at the Anaerobic

Threshold)
is the core of his fitness program. Several workouts per week are

designed
to influence his LT. Apparently this from of training is very successful

for
him. However, elite Nordic ski racers concentrate more on long aerobic
workouts with high end level 4 intervals in late summer and fall. Why is

it
these Scandinavian athletes are avoiding several LT workouts per week

and
are so successful. Of course the obvious is they have extremely high

V02's,
but they still look for the best training methods. Any insight from you
sport physiology people would be appreciated.

You are talking about two diffrent things here. If you have done any bike
racing you know that there are moments of drafting in low energy mode an
there are fast hurting pace burst when trying to break loose or cath a
break. In XC-skiing there are more a steady high pace hovering around LT
all the time and trying to not use upp the glycogen storages before
the finnish line. The only dicipline in cycling that is alike XC-skiing
is when doing timetrial (TT), here it's you against the clock and your

LT;-).

The other thing that differ largly is the race time, the longest XC race

would
be Vasaloppet which is around 4hours, this only touches the shortest

bikeraces
in time. The longest (normal) XC-race is the 50k and it is completed

around 2:10
and is just done one in say 4-5 weeks, Tour the France is 19 races done in

21 days
with a duration about 4-6 hours each.

It's diffrent.

--