Old June 23rd 04, 11:33 AM
Eric Shmo Chandler

Default Trapp plans housing development, road across XC trails in Stowe, Vermont

What is especially appalling is that, in the article I posted, he tries to
weasel out of his past statements about preserving the land by blaming the
town for not building the municipal sewer earlier, and claiming that, because
he couldn't get the timeshares up sooner, he "had to" engage in the new $15
million project. What a nasty, greedy lout he has become.

That's kind of harsh. My family is part of a land partnership in
Maine. That partnership finds itself doing things it would rather not
in order to keep the larger portion of the land undeveloped. In
essence, a gravel pit operation allows us to pay the taxes on the rest
of the land. We do not post the land. In fact we post signs
encouraging people to hike, hunt, snowmachine, and ice-climb on our
land, among other things. The thanks we get is that people leave
truckloads of trash on our property, even while they are recreating on
it.

It is very possible...possible, I said... that this 15 million dollar
project on the Trapps part will keep the greater operation alive. I
suspect that selling trail tickets to people like us in Subarus is not
that profitable. But calling someone a "nasty greedy lout" for running
a ski operation and doing what he wants with HIS money on HIS land
within the law...that's uncalled for. If everybody who ****es and
moans about what developers do to "our" land would pony up and make it
worth developers while to leave things undeveloped, the argument would
be solved. But that will never happen. The Nature Conservancy is about
the only outfit that puts their money where their mouth is.

But I'm sure I'll hear why I'm wrong.

Shmo