Old October 31st 03, 01:43 AM
Gary S.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:19:55 +0000 (UTC),
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Oct.30.03@telemark. slac.stanford.edu
wrote:

_ All true, I suspect the shovel is a kind of afterthought
and it does feature a "mobile phone pocket" and will fit
"any laptop". However, since we carry shovels anyway
and skis sometimes, it would be nice to use that nice
stiff shovel to better carry the skis. Even the best
ski carry systems on day trip sized packs suck. You
need a frame to fix the skis away from the body to
do it right.

_ Booker C. Bense

The cell phone and laptop capabilities sound like something that would
be used 99% of the time for urban living by someone who wants to look
extreme and outdoorsy.

Part of the Spring skiing thing at Tucks on Mt. Washington in NH, is
seeing the amazing variety of ways that people have devised to carry
their skis and other gear up from Pinkham.

Some of them work very well, some cause painful laughing.

My winter daypack has a simple frame, and I need to be able to attach
(at various times) fat skis, skinny skis, poles, snowshoes, ice ax,
crampons, pad, and tripod.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA