Old February 17th 05, 08:36 AM
Martin Thornquist

[ Peter Clinch ]

Gary S. wrote:

You want to set it up like fencing, with the electric scoring to
determine a touch?

Would depend what level you want to take it at. There's lots of fencing
done without electrical scoring, and I think visuals are all that's used
in paddling slaloms. On a sprung pole it should be reasonably clear if
it's been hit by someone at any sort of speed on skis, at least at a
level that's acceptable outside "Very Serious".

Well, slalom skiers move pretty fast, so just the wind pressure would
probably make the poles swing a bit. They actually move so fast it can
be hard even to see if both skis where actually on the right side. And
if one went for touch sensors, what about snow being thrown up from
the skis? All in all I think it would be very hard to judge, and open
up for a lot of complaints, to have any rules beyond both skis at the
right side.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp