Old March 8th 04, 09:05 AM
Terje Mathisen

Default Norway takes 1st and 3rd in Swedish Vasaloppet!

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Terje Mathisen wrote:

b) With so much double poling, having world class ski preparation that
gives near-optimal glide all the way is even more crucial than in a long
distance WC event like Holmenkollen.

Yes! This is what I was wondering about in the message I posted a few
days ago. Got no response so maybe nobody here really knows. Do these
guys in the lead pack do anything particularly special, such as using
unusually stiff skis or unusually short kick wax zones, in order to
really optimize glide? Once they're in the draft they *appear* to not

That's possible.

have to work terribly hard to stay in the pack... at least until they
hit an uphill and have to KDP or stride a bit.

Waxing must have been very tough for most of the skiers yesterday, with
-12 C at the start and +6 before Anders finished. You could see the
tracks turning to mush for the leaders, at the tail end it must have
been _very_ sloppy. I bet there was a _lot_ of klister rewaxing going on
there. :-)

Terje

--
-