Old January 4th 04, 06:08 PM
Beloved Leader

Default Snowboarding or skiing?

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message ...

I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing....
I'm interested in taking up
boarding or skiing because (1) they look like a lot of fun, (2) I could use
more exercise in the winter, and (3) I love the mountains.
I live in Pittsburgh,...

2. ... If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?
3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?
4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)?

Good for you. 42 is not to old to learn. Realistically, should you
keep up with either skiing or boarding or both, you can expect to
become someone who enjoys skiing or boarding as a social activity
rather than someone who is in the top 1% of skiers or boarders. Either
one is a fun way to get out of the house and enjoy the snow. Going
down a slope by the light of the full moon is a blast no matter what
you're riding.

You, especially, are in luck, as January 8 is "Pennsylvania Learn to
Ski" day. On this day, resorts all over PA will have blocks of
tickets, for $10 each, that include the equipment rental and lift
ticket. How can you go wrong? Google for "pennsylvania learn to ski"
or "Pennsylvania Ski Areas Association". The PSSA website,
http://www.skipa.com/events.htm , says little about the event, so
visit a Pittsburgh ski or board shop or call a nearby ski area for
more information. It's an unbeatable deal. Tickets may be limited, so
don't tarry.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'd start with skiing. As a
beginner, you'll need to learn not only how to get down the hill, but
how to get up the hill as well. Riding a lift chair while you are
attached to skis is a much more natural activity than is riding a lift
chair while you are attached to a snowboard. For one thing, when you
are on skis, each foot is connected to some sort of a plank. Further,
on skis, you are facing the right direction when you get on and get
off the chair.

In addtion, learning to board involves (requires?) falling. Much, much
falling. It hurts. Yes, you'll fall on skis too, but learning to ski
strikes me as a less painful experience. Skis, since they can be
spread apart, provide an intrinsic stability not available with a
board. Whatever your choice, don't forget the painkillers.

I do feel that those who board exclusively and never get on skis are
missing something. The opposite is equally true. Both ways of getting
down the mountain are fun.

There are some ski-only sites in the US. Taos NM and Alta UT (?) are
two that come to mind.

I wouldn't worry about the "expense" of ski poles. I see those things
on trash piles all the time. Ditto perfectly adequate pairs of skis.

All you need now is snow. Since it hit 68 degrees F in DC yesterday,
the only K2 product is was using was my K2 inline skates. A blast of
cold air is headed to DC and Pittsburgh, so maybe you can get out on
Thursday and have some fun.

Best wishes.