Old May 31st 11, 05:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default carbon pole repair?

On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:54:02 -0400
dwall wrote:

On 5/30/2011 10:41 PM, wrote:
Has anyone here tried using carbon fiber fabric and epoxy to repair
a carbon fiber pole? If yes, can you recommend the type of epoxy
and the fiber fabric? I broke 2 poles within the last 2 weeks
rollerskiing , by getting the tip of a pole stuck in a gap between
concrete slabs at a bike path bridge. One of the poles was an Exel
Black Feather, so I am mildly annoyed. I was thinking to get a thin
aluminum tube from McMaster and using aluminum putty to glue the
pieces together. May be carbon fiber would be a more elegant way,
but I have no experience with carbon fiber. Don't want to spend
$300 on a new pair of poles w/o giving repair a try.

Why use Carbon poles???? If it is training not racing then use cheap
poles....Save the good ones for races...

Strongly disagree. While the quality and weight of cheap poles has
improved immensely over the years, they are still typically heavy,
harder to control on the return swing (without having to compensate)
and more prone to leave blisters, especially on long rollers such as
I imagine runcyclexcski takes. Try doing a 1.5-2 hour DP session with
those cheap things. The middle/upper middle of the line composite
ones, sort of Swix Team or one down, are probably the minimum. I use
Infinity poles for rollerskiing and they are very light and stiff. If a
repair doesn't work out, contact me, as I have some spare ones
(Infinity and maybe Swix Team) around that may fit your needs.

Gene