Old January 15th 04, 11:34 PM
Mark Drela

Default Skate technique USST two cents

In article , "Griss" writes:

Being from a medical background, there's biochemistry, physiology, anatomy,
biophysics, etc, and then there's the human body which defies the rules in
every *individual* case.

Except nobody nobody can defy the rules of physics, no matter
how much authority they have behind them. I have real trouble
accepting technique advice which has no apparent reason to work
from a physics viewpoint, or even a physiology viewpoint.

Any technique approach which aims to make you go faster
must do it through in increase in NET power -- power produced
minus power dissipated, or maybe through reduced air resistance.
Also, aerobic power output is limited mainly by cardiac output,
not by how much muscle mass can be recruited. Much technique
advice that I see appears at odds with these key constraints.