Old March 25th 15, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Flying with ski gear.

On 3/22/2015 10:41 PM, stenor1 wrote:
Starting to think about planning a ski trip out of my local region for next season. Wondering a bit about the logistics of flying with ski gear. Anyone ever fly with a Transpack boot/helmet bag and take it as carry-on ? Were you allowed to & did it fit in the overhead bins?

I understand that, with most airlines, when you travel with a ski & boot bag, the boot bag plus the ski bag counts as one checked bag, but the boot bag can contain only the boots, so I guess a Transpack with helmet inside would not qualify, so figuring we'd take it as a carry-on ...

Anyone done this and how did it work out?

Don't check your boots. You can rent skis and even helmets but you
can't rent ski boots. Those things they offer to newbies to put on
their feet are not ski boots - it is impossible to ski in those things,
just look at how people in rental boots move - that is not skiing, it's
flailing uncontrollably.

Bring everything you need for the first day in carry-on. Boots, ski
pants, parka, gloves, base layers, mid layers, helmet, etc. That way if
your checked baggage is delayed you can rent skis while you wait for it
to arrive.

I have a small-ish soft sided bag that holds my boots, parka, pants,
base layers, etc, and a small backpack that holds my helmet, gloves,
goggles, etc. The bag with boots goes in the overhead, the backpack goes
under the seat. No problem, even with the small overheads on the
regional jets.

You will need to check your emergency rum flask. That's the one
essential you may have to do without for a day.

--
//Walt