Old March 23rd 15, 02:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Flying with ski gear.

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:41:45 -0700 (PDT), stenor1
wrote this crap:

Starting to think about planning a ski trip out of my local region for
next season. Wondering a bit about the logistics of flying with sk
i gear. Anyone ever fly with a Transpack boot/helmet bag and
take it as carry-on ? Were you allowed to & did it fit in
the overhead bins?

I understand that, with most airlines, when you travel with a
ski & boot bag, the boot bag plus the ski bag counts as one
checked bag, but the boot bag can contain only the boots, so
I guess a Transpack with helmet inside would not qualify, so
figuring we'd take it as a carry-on ...

Anyone done this and how did it work out?

Thanks. --Scott

No problem, Scott. (I wouldn't admit to that name around here.) I
have an oversized gym bag which I put my boots in and my personal gear
and clothing which I carry on. I have a custom made ski bag which I
check. This ski bag is big enough to put clothing in, too. But be
sure to put a cloth or canvas bag over the skis when you put them
inside the checked bag or the ski edges might cut up your clothing.

Another tip is to bring old clothing and underwear when traveling. You
can throw out the old stuff after wearing it and buy new stuff to take
back. Who doesn't like to have a new sweatshirt to show off after you
get home? I've got sweatshirts from all over the country, and some
from Europe.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe