Old November 23rd 05, 05:51 PM

You talk too much theory, don't look around at people snowboarding!
Use the pros as an example, because we know they can edge.....right?

-snip freestylers-
sure, and if you look at pro racers I bet you'll find no overhang on any of
their setups...

Mike T, you don't know simple physics! If your feet are nailed to a
2' wide board, you'd never have the power to edge it at speed. If your
feet are nailed to 9" wide board, you'd easily tip it over, carve it
hard, and have some toe drag ....so you add risers to lift your foot
off the snow, just like raceboarders, for the clearance.

Your example is analogous to general relativity where mine is analgous to
quantum mechanics

I am talking about keeping the board width constant, and choosing stance
angles. My claim is that the difference in leverage on the board between
"a small amount of overhang" and "no overhang" will be small. In fact I
claim that the differences you will notice will be more due to the position
your bosy is in, in a given stance angle, and the axis on which you flex
your boots.

Example: I get slightly more power out of 21/12 angles and 3/8" overhang
than I do out of 36/27 angles and no overhang. BUT, I believe it's because
I'm flexing the boots (Malamutes) where they are stiffer in the lower
angles. My Malamutes are actually not that stiff along the diagonal, and
when I set up a stance where I try to flex them along the diagonal, less
power goes to edging.

Again - all I am trying to say is that "a small amount of overhang - say 3/8
inch" does not inherehtly offer substatntially more leverage than "no
overhang; boots lined up over edge".

Mike T