Old December 20th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

Default New midlength skis---glide as good as full-length?

In article ,
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) wrote:
Has anyone used the new midlength skis?

Yes.

Do they glide as good as full-length?

No.

How about their float ability in ungroomed or soft conditions?

Depends on the ski. I had a pair of Fischer Shortcuts (not
the Superlights) that seemed unusually incapable in pretty
much any conditions you might throw at them. I've got a
pair of short, fat Rossignols that will get you through
anything but get you through it slowly.

My current favorites for grotting around in ungroomed,
crappy snow is a pair of full-length Asnes waxable BC skis,
with somewhat more sidecut than standard touring skis and
metal edges. Way better flotation than other touring skis
and much, much better speed than the Mom skis.