Old February 21st 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Snowboard bag - leave bindings attached?

On Feb 8, 10:22 pm, "Mike M. Miskulin" wrote:
"James Varty" wrote innews
I'm going over to France for a week on Sunday, flying over with a

I unscrew the bindings just incase the bag takes a real bash.
Beyond that, I usually stuff gloves or other soft stuff at the
tip and tail. A sheet of bubble wrap goes under the base. I use
plastic butter tubs for binding parts and other small items (like
batteries for walkietalkies). Put stuff inside your boots too.

As to using your clothes... I've recently stopped dowing this
after reading a heads up from someone who's bag was lost. One
can always rent a board but who wants to go buy new pants, etc?
Now I'll use a couple sweat shirts or a towel for a little extra
padding and if they are missing for a few days I can still go out
without buying all new clothes!

I realize that this is a stale thread, but I can't resist chiming in
because this is exactly what happened to me this past weekend in Salt
Lake City. Thanks to appalling bungling by the airline, my wife and I
arrived in SLC only about four or five hours behind schedule on
Thursday night, but our luggage -- two suitcases and my snowboard bag
-- didn't make it there until Friday evening. I had my clothing and
gear neatly distributed between my board bag and suitcase, but when
both disappeared I was left with nothing. The airline actually gave me
a rental voucher for a local shop when I complained that I wouldn't be
able to ride on Friday, but there was simply too much that I lacked to
make that approach practical. Renting a board plus boots could have
been tolerable, but also missing were my gloves, wrist guards, helmet,
pants, jacket, knee pads, fleece pullovers, socks, and long underwear.
Thought about buying new editions of whatever couldn't be rented and
telling the shop to charge the airline, but it seemed like too much
work to start from scratch, and probably wouldn't have worked anyway.
On the plus side, since all the luggage was late, it wasn't my packing
strategy that caused the problem.

Joe Ramirez