Old August 17th 05, 01:47 AM
hellgate hellgate is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunter
A ski buddy and I are considering the US this year for skiing and would like
to tour around and see a few top resorts, Utah looks a good prospect.

We will be on a 10/12 day holiday. Does anyone have any advice/info on how
best to see the top resorts in the area, eg: the most convenient bases to
stay at for car access to the best from the following: Alta, Beaver
Mountain, Brian Head, Brighton, The Canyons, Deer Valley, Park City, Powder
Mountain, Snowbasin, Snowbird, Solitude and Sundance?

Which are the 'not to be missed' resorts and which ones are of less
interest?

MTIA Steve
I am assuming you ahave chosen Utah because of the quality of snow. I am not sure what the Tahoe crowd means when they say it hard to leave. Perhaps skiing there is just convenient for them. If you like skiing light powder snow from top to bottom instead of Siera Cement definitely come to Utah.

The best powder skiing is Alta. You have to work for it. Lots of traversing and climbing. alta also does not groom very much. Snowbird is next. 3000 ft of vertical. Plenty of Glades, Chutes, trees and fantastic bowls. Keeep in mind there is nothing to do at alta/snowbird socially. It is all about skiing. if you are taking advantage of the mountain you will be too tired to do anyhing at night.

Solitude, Brighton get great utah snow but arew not as difficult or challenging as Alta/Snowbird.

Park city, Canyons, Deer Valley all are mega resorts catering to those who would rather have a great meal than ski. the skiing can be quite good though but the elevation is lower than alta/Snowbird, and it snows less.

You can ski alta/Snowbird and stay in the valley inexpensively. There are suite hotels for about 80$ per night. You can be up on the mountain in a half hour if the road is open.

Have fun and please aask if yo need more help

Any other questions, just ask..