Old July 29th 05, 10:24 PM
lal_truckee

Bunter wrote:
A ski buddy and I are considering the US this year for skiing and would like
to tour around and see a few top resorts, Utah looks a good prospect.

We will be on a 10/12 day holiday. Does anyone have any advice/info on how
best to see the top resorts in the area, eg: the most convenient bases to
stay at for car access to the best from the following: Alta, Beaver
Mountain, Brian Head, Brighton, The Canyons, Deer Valley, Park City, Powder
Mountain, Snowbasin, Snowbird, Solitude and Sundance?

Which are the 'not to be missed' resorts and which ones are of less
interest?

We drive out for a short (10-14 days) tour every once in a while (it's
hard to leave Tahoe, but we make the sacrifice.) The best skiing is
Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, not in that order. The rest are forgetable,
and specialize in tourist hollidays, not in skiing. You can stay cheap
in numerous motels at the mouth of the canyons and daytrip up the
canyons no sweat.

Also Jackson/Targhee are an afternoon's drive away and worth the effort,
particularly since Jackson is so overbuilt for the summer tourist crowd
that they practicully give away rooms in the winter - Motel 8 for
instance had rooms at $140 for 2 for the WEEK last year. Drive to
Jackson after skiing, ski Jackson, and hit Targhee on the way back to
SLC, since lodging in Driggs is tighter.

(Check out http://skitruck.com/ and visit them when you're in SLC - it's
a kick; 1000s of pairs of skis cheap.)